Currently using BoxStarter (but prob not as initially intended?)

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Hey Matt,

First I'd like to say thanks for the effort on this project and help on Chocolatey.

I wanted to open a quick discussion around how I'm currently using BoxStarter and get your feedback.

I have a single dev setup script, which I'd like to keep as a single script, and am currently loading up the boxstarter helpers (using the approach you do internally to boxstarter).

https://github.com/staxmanade/DevMachineSetup/blob/master/Bootstrap/BootIt.ps1

I may be a small minority, but would prefer not to have different files for my dev environment an quite like having it all specified in one big-ol script. (sort-of - i do shell out my powershell environment setup)

Would you mind taking a quick peek at what's there and how I'm using BoxStarter. Do you have any feedback, particularly in the realm of (when you make changes to box-starter is there anything I can do to avoid broken dependencies?)

Thanks

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2012 at 6:16 PM
Hi Jason,

I'm glad you are finding the boxstarter stuff useful! I think you should be safe from broken dependencies especially since you are using the boxstarter helpers directly from the module. Those should remain as is. The most volatile component right now is the boxstarter bootstrapper which you are circumventing altogether.

I'm hoping to eventually add functionality that will make using boxstarter simpler and will allow you to just have to manage a single file. Just been super busy lately.

Thanks for the feedback!
Matt

Sent: 11/30/2012 3:58 PM
To: matt@mattwrock.com
Subject: Currently using BoxStarter (but prob not as initially intended?)[BoxStarter:405213]

Hey Mat,

First I'd like to say thanks for the effort on this project and help on Chocolatey.

I wanted to open a quick discussion around how I'm currently using BoxStarter and get your feedback.

I have a single dev setup script, which I'd like to keep as a single script, and am currently loading up the boxstarter helpers (using the approach you do internally to boxstarter).

https://github.com/staxmanade/DevMachineSetup/blob/master/Bootstrap/BootIt.ps1

I may be a small minority, but would prefer not to have different files for my dev environment an quite like having it all specified in one big-ol script. (sort-of - i do shell out my powershell environment setup)

Would you mind taking a quick peek at what's there and how I'm using BoxStarter. Do you have any feedback, particularly in the realm of (when you make changes to box-starter is there anything I can do to avoid broken dependencies?)

Thanks