"This command cannot be executed because the setting cannot be enabled"

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM
I'm trying to use Install-BoxstarterPackage to install a package on a remote machine via the following command

Install-BoxstarterPackage -ComputerName vm-boxstarter -PackageName NotepadPlusPlus

However I get the error "This command cannot be executed because the setting cannot be enabled." during the "Boxstarter: Configuring CredSSP settings..." step.

I've run "Enable-PSRemoting -Force" on the remote machine, I also don't need credentials as I'm a domain user with admin rights over both machines (specifying the credentials doesn't make any difference to the output)

How can I diagnose and fix this?

Full powershell output is
PS C:\> Install-BoxstarterPackage -ComputerName vm-boxstarter.fiscal.local -PackageName NotepadPlusPlus
Boxstarter Version 2.3.24
(c) 2014 Matt Wrock. http://boxstarter.org

Boxstarter: Configuring local Powershell Remoting settings...
Boxstarter: Configuring CredSSP settings...
Boxstarter: Rolling back remoting settings changed by Boxstarter...
Enable-WSManCredSSP : This command cannot be executed because the setting cannot be enabled.
At C:\Users\jpealing\AppData\Roaming\Boxstarter\Boxstarter.Chocolatey\Enable-BoxstarterCredSSP.ps1:58 char:9
+         Enable-WSManCredSSP -DelegateComputer $ComputersToAdd -Role Client -Forc ...
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.String[]:String[]) [Enable-WSManCredSSP], InvalidOperationExce
   ption
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WsManError,Microsoft.WSMan.Management.EnableWSManCredSSPCommand
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Can you run the command with the -Verbose switch and post the output? Thanks!
Feb 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Install-BoxstarterPackage -ComputerName vm-boxstarter.fiscal.local -PackageName NotepadPlusPlus
-Verbose
Boxstarter Version 2.3.24
(c) 2014 Matt Wrock. http://boxstarter.org

Boxstarter: Configuring local Powershell Remoting settings...
VERBOSE: Boxstarter: Adding vm-boxstarter.fiscal.local to allowed wsman hosts
Boxstarter: Configuring CredSSP settings...
VERBOSE: Boxstarter: Adding vm-boxstarter.fiscal.local to allowed credSSP hosts
Boxstarter: Rolling back remoting settings changed by Boxstarter...
VERBOSE: Boxstarter: Reseting wsman Trusted Hosts to
Enable-WSManCredSSP : This command cannot be executed because the setting cannot be enabled.
At C:\Users\jpealing\AppData\Roaming\Boxstarter\Boxstarter.Chocolatey\Enable-BoxstarterCredSSP.ps1:58 char:9
+         Enable-WSManCredSSP -DelegateComputer $ComputersToAdd -Role Client -Forc ...
+         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (System.String[]:String[]) [Enable-WSManCredSSP], InvalidOperationExce
   ption
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WsManError,Microsoft.WSMan.Management.EnableWSManCredSSPCommand
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2014 at 6:55 AM
Edited Feb 27, 2014 at 6:56 AM
Hmm. Interesting. For some reason it looks like Boxstarter cannot enable Credssp on your client. In the next release, I will have Boxstarter ignore the exception and proceed without CredSSP. Most don't need it. Its only useful if you need to authenticate on another resource from the remote machine allowing for second hop authentication. I apologize for the difficulties.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you using?
Feb 27, 2014 at 7:10 AM
Windows 8.1 (sorry, forgot to mention this in the origianl post)

CredSSP is actually already enabled, and the following alternative command to enable it does work, so I don't really understand what is wrong the the Enable-WSManCredSSP command.
winrm set winrm/config/client/auth '@{CredSSP="true"}' 
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Ah yes i have seen references to using this method when encountering this issue. I will try using this instead. Thanks!
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Okay - let me know if you need me to run anything on my machine to try and figure out what causes this.