Stop Package Install

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Hi! I've got a package that is stuck in a reboot loop. When windows auto logs in I see the boxstarter window and can manually cancel that but on restart boxstarter continues on.

How can I cancel a package install (stop the autologin, etc).

Thanks in advance.
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM
There are typically a couple reasons for this:
  1. Your package has instructions to explicitly reboot rather than letting Boxstarer handle the reboot (this can be done but its easy to get wrong). Could you send along your package?
  2. A rouge program keeps placing files in pending fie rename operations which is stored HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations. This happened to me once with a Intel HD Graphics update. If the content of this key continues to have the same file(s) after reboots, that would be the issue.
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Yeah, I had a printer driver DLL in PendingFileRenameOperations and had to stop the Print Spooler and manually remove the file and restart. However, I was wondering if there was a way to ask Boxstarter to abort the package install (if I run the package on production and can't quickly figure out what is causing the infinite restart it might be nice to abort).
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2014 at 9:16 AM
The circular autologon abortion needs work. Cuurrently, ctrl+C may cause the autologon not to reset back to explicit logon. The best way to handle this is actually from another machine. Using something like:
Install-BoxstarterPackage -ComputerName OtherComputer -Credentials $creds -PackageName mypackage
Here you can use ctrl+C much more safely.
Apr 22, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Thanks!