BoxStarter and Windows 8.x

Oct 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I am finding some issues when using BoxStarter from Windows 8.1.

1) The autologin does not seem to work
2) Somewhere UAC is being turned off
3) The Boxstarter script does not restart (after I manually login) until I start the desktop
4) The restarted script asks me for the password again.

I was thinking about trying a different method, where the restart script is triggered via a scheduled task instead of placing a shortcut in the startup menu. I think this will get around the requirement to start the desktop. I also think this will remove the need to disable UAC as the scheduled task can be made to run in an elevated session.

Has this been tried before? Just want to make sure I wasn't wasting time before I undertake a fairly significant change. I'll submit a patch if this works out.
Coordinator
Oct 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I have tested quite a bit on 8.1. However there are some things that might make it “look” like things are not working.

- 8.1 seems to take you to the login screen after a while. However, from what I have seen, the screen says “logged in” and clicking the left arrow image simply removes the login screen.

- The boxstarter window will not appear on the “start screen” but it should actually be running and switching to the desktop will allow you to see it. It can take several seconds or even a minute after a reboot for it to start.

- Boxstarter turns off uac before reboot. It does this so that the UAC prompt will not appear when it first runs. It should turn it back on when done. I have discovered a way around this and will be removing the disabling of UAC in a near future release.

Does this at all align with what you are seeing?

Matt

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Matt -

There is a setting in the "Taskbar and Navigation Properties" that makes it so the desktop is launched after sign in. Is there an easy way to set thsi property active from a Boxstarter script?

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM
You can vote up https://boxstarter.codeplex.com/workitem/27 :). I'll be adding that in the next release.