Server side log files

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Hey guys, have been using Box-Choco for the past 6 months, great product. I'm still getting through teething issues of problems on various windows configurations. When a problem pops up I usually get a partial screen cap or copy paste of the last error from the user it happened to. Usually not enough to debug the issue

So I was thinking it would be really cool to have server side log files per client if needed. I say server side because I have set up 3 repos in 3 different servers in 3 different countries so I can pretty much set up a machine from clean in whatever global office doing this..

\COUNTRY..\BoxStarter\BoxStarter.bat MyDevEnvironment

So since it's running off the server, I'm thinking it would be possible to log to the location it runs from instead of the client PC. that would be great for finding problems quickly

Does that sound crazy or far fetched?
Would it capture all of the Box and Choc logs as well, maybe not....

Thanks for the great product.
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Doesn't sound crazy at all. There are a couple Boxstarter changes that would need to be made:
  1. Need to be able to configure the location of the Log File. Boxstarter always logs to %LocalAppData%. I'd think we would add this to the Set-BoxstarterConfig command which allows you to configure the location of the local repo and nuget feeds.
  2. Need to add username/machine name to log file name so that multiple sessions do not attempt to write to the same log file.
Would that satisfy what you are trying to accomplish?
Feb 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Yeah good catch on the username+machine, I was just thinking machine but that would be more precise. That would wrap it all up if you did that. Obviously it's the server / repo admins job to make sure the directory the log files are written to are R/W.

Cheers.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Great! I just created issue #50 https://boxstarter.codeplex.com/workitem/50 to track this. Feel free to vote it up :) Thanks a bunch for the input!