Autologin after reboot - Not functioning on Windows 8 VM?

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM
I am running a test package calling the Install-WindowsUpdate command. The command finds the initial updates, downloads and installs, then reboots. Is the OS supposed to login after the reboot? Or does the script begin to execute again behind the scenes? I notice that if I login manually after the reboot, that the script then pops up and continues to run.

If anyone can clarify the intended functionality of the autologin feature that would be great. Thank you!
Editor
Mar 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM
Hello,

I tend to wrap this command into it's own package, you can find mine here:

Example Boxstarter Package for Windows Update

Then you can install this package using:
$cred=Get-Credential domain\username
Install-BoxstarterPackage -PackageName "WindowsUpdate" -Credential $cred
That way, if there are any reboots included in the Windows Updates that are getting installed, Boxstarter will do the reboot, and then be able to auto login again.

Without the addition of the Credentials onto the Install-BoxstarterPage command, it is not possible to auto login again, and I don't think the Install-WindowsUpdate command includes this parameter.

Hope that helps!

Gary
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2014 at 5:23 AM
Actually Install-WindowsUpdate should gracefully handle reboots. Now there is a bug with the Windows Update command when it is called outside of a package entirely in an interactive shell, but it sounds like you are running from a package. In which case the need to re-pass credentials should not be necessary.

I think what you are experiencing here is the confusing way that windows 8.1 recovers from a reboot. On Windows 8.1, when you come back from a reboot and the auto login completes, Windows takes you to the lock screen even though the system is not truly locked. You should notice that if you click the back arrow thingy, you go straight to the start screen without being prompted to login. There are some Group Policy rules that can influence this but this is the default behavior. To make things more confusing, when you are on the start screen, you will never see the Boxstarter console popup. It will usually be invoked within a few minutes of restarting but you have to go to the desktop to see it.