Clients rebooting

May 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Hey everyone,

I started testing BoxStarter a week ago.

Environment (everything virtualized in VWWorkstation 10.0.2 build-1744117):
  • Windows Server 2013 R2 standard
  • Windows 7 Professional SP1 Client (XXX)
Problem:
  • If i kick off the following command, the Windows Client does a reboot, before installing firefox. This only happens, if they are Windows Updates pending.
    The main problem now is, that i would want to run this command during people are working, whitout affecting their work.
    Means, Boxstarter should install firefox, and ignore, if Updates are pending or not, they will install either way as soon as the user turns his machine off...
    Worst case at the moment would be: User is working in Word on something important, Boxstarter starts in the Background, reboots machine whitout warning -> Data Loss.
Command:
Install-BoxstarterPackage -ComputerName XXX -PackageName firefox -Credential $credential -force

I searched for a specific command to turn the reboot off, but i was not lucky in my search.

I do not know if i procured enough informations for someone to be able to help me, please let me know if you need further informations.

Aera
Editor
May 8, 2014 at 6:51 AM
Hello Aera,

Since you are using the Install-BoxstarterPackage cmdlet, you should be able to use the -DisableReboots parameter which is described here:

http://boxstarter.org/InstallingPackages

NOTE: Since you are disabling reboots, there will be no need to pass in the credentials to the Install-BoxstarterPackage command.

Hope that helps!

Gary
Marked as answer by gep13 on 5/8/2014 at 4:36 AM
May 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Hey

I have no Idea how i could not find this by myself.

Many thanks, it solved my problem!

Aera
Editor
May 8, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Ha ha, not a problem, we have all been there :-)

Glad to hear that you got it working.

Gary