Some kind of monitoring

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM
Hi,

I'd like to check the status of a machine, e.g. what chocolatey packages are installed. I didn't find a way to execute "chocolatey list -lo" remotely so far.

Does anyone have a good solution for this? Is there any way to monitor a machine after a boxstarter install (with boxstarter)?

Thanks in advance!
Coordinator
Jul 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM
I think your best option here is to simply use Powershell Remoting to call chocolotaey commands on that machine. Chocolatey is installed as part of the boxstarter run, so commands like list should bring back what you are looking for.
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Unfortunately the chocolatey commands do not work remotely. I tried it with "enter-pssession" and by using "invoke-command -session ...". Both ways ended in some random exceptions. I asked on GitHub, but they told me chocolatey isn't supported for remote commands.

How does Boxstarter get those chocolatey commands executed? Isn't there a way to use Boxstarter for clist too?
Coordinator
Jul 22, 2014 at 7:02 AM
There are some packages and windows features hat cannot install succesfully via remoting except via boxstarter. However, commands like list "should" work. Do you mind sharing the errors you got? Here is an excerpt from a remoting session of mine:
[192.168.1.14]: PS C:\Users\Administrator\Documents> clist -lo
Boxstarter 2.4.46
Boxstarter.Bootstrapper 2.4.46
Boxstarter.Chocolatey 2.4.46
Boxstarter.Common 2.4.46
Boxstarter.HyperV 2.4.46
Boxstarter.WinConfig 2.4.46
[192.168.1.14]: PS C:\Users\Administrator\Documents>
Jul 22, 2014 at 8:29 PM
This is the first error I get:
clist.exe : Der Thread wurde nicht gestartet.
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (Der Thread wurde nicht gestartet.:String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError
It's german. The error states: "The thread couldn't be started."

I did get some other errors, but can't reprocude them right now. So this is the main error.

Thanks!
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM
I don't find anything related to that error. Does someone have an idea?

Can I somehow execute clist by using BoxStarter?