Install-ChocolateyPath not available in BoxStarter shell or PowerShell

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:11 AM
I'm new to Chocolatey and BoxStarter. I'd like to use Install-ChocolateyPath and the other Chocolatey helpers. But they don't seem available in the BoxStarter shell, or PowerShell after running "Import-Module Boxstarter.Chocolatey". Anyone know how to use them with BoxStarter? Thanks!
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:28 AM
I think I figured it out. I needed to call "Invoke-ChocolateyBoxstarter", and that seems to make Chocolatey cmdlets visible. I guess I expected that would be there by default at least in BoxStarter Shell.
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:45 AM
Well, okay, still can access Install-ChocolateyShortcut, Get-WebFile, and others, and I don't notice any more BoxStarter commands that look promising. Any idea how to get access to all the Chocolatey helpers? Thanks.
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Hi, the chocolatey helpers should all be available within the context of a package meaning they should work if included inside of your chocolatey package. They are not intended to be called directly from the command line. That said, if you did want to call them directly you could do so by first importing the <root chocolatey dir>\chocolateyinstall\helpers\ChocolateyInstaller.psm1. The root is typically either at c:\chocolatey or c:\programfiles\chocolatey.

Does this answer your question? Are you trying to call them directly?
Aug 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Yes, interactively. It's nice to be able to Get-Help on the cmdlets and to quickly try out some steps to make sure I have everything right (symbolic paths, etc.).

I think my problem came down to two Chocolatey issues (and there may be more), which I'll work with them on:
  1. Get-WebFile is listed in the helpers reference page, but isn't available. Apparently, Get-ChocolateyWebFile should be used instead.
  2. Install-ChocolateyShortcut is in the helpers reference and the source is on GitHub, but it doesn't get deployed with Chocolatey. I wonder if there are other helpers that aren't deployed.
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!