Does BoxStarter Modify PowerShell's Execution Policy?

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:37 PM
I'm trying to understand how BoxStarter is handling PowerShell execution policies given that something odd's been happening when I made changes to our in-house packages that require reboots. I have two cases: Trying to install the packages via the admin account while a VM is spinning up and waiting until the VM is spun up and running them manually from the logged in user account. In both cases the PS execution policy should be unrestricted. I can confirm this in the latter case and as expected installing the BoxStarter package works as expected with reboots. However, when the VM spins up and launches the package it goes through, reboots where it should, then gets stuck on login asking whether or not it can perform a restricted action (indicating BoxStarter doesn't seem to be running in unrestricted mode). Is this the case? Does BoxStarter change the execution policy it's running under, possibly lowering it, after reboots?
Coordinator
Aug 30, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Boxstarter runs all powershell bypassing executionpolicy which is technically equivalent to unrestricted. That error sounds more like a administrator rights error than an execution policy error but hard to say without seeing it.

Does this happen when running locally on box or remotely. Is the user an admin?

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Security warning
Run only scripts that you trust.  While scripts from the internet can be useful, this script can potentially harm your computer.  If you trust this script, use the Unblock-File cmdlset to allow the script to run without this warning message.  Do you want to run <some script>
[D] Do not run   [R] Run once   [S] Suspend   [?] Help (default is "D"):
Actually narrowed this down to a script IT's running before we get to my BoxStarter pieces so you're off the hook (for now :) )